Benghazi: a Recap (Part I)

What happened in Benghazi (the looting of the CIA ‘annex’ and the murders of Ambassador Stevens, officer Steve Smith, and ex-SEALS Glen Dougherty and Ty Woods) lies at the center of three major lines of force, which all seem to converge towards Turkey: the Libyan government, the Obama regime, and the Syrian Civil War.

To understand Benghazi we need to consider the possibility of an alliance between the Obama regime, the interim government of Libya, and the Turkish government of Erdogan — with al-Qaeda looming in the shadows.

First things first: between 19:30 and 20:30, Ambassador Christopher Stevens meets Turkish Consul General Ali Akin Sait. Then the American escorts the Turk to the door of the so-called ‘consulate’ to say goodbye. “Everything is calm at 8:30 PM. There is nothing unusual,” according to a briefing from the U.S. State Department. BUT Associated Press (AP) reported a testimony from neighbors, Libyans in Benghazi who live next to the ‘consulate,’ according to which

“150 bearded gunmen, some wearing the Afghan-style tunics favored by Islamic militants, sealing off the streets leading to the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi. They set up roadblocks with pick-up trucks mounted with heavy machine guns, according to witnesses. The trucks bore the logo of Ansar al-Shariah, a powerful local group of Islamist militants who worked with the municipal government to manage security in Benghazi […]”

According to AP, “The neighbors all described activists who put up checkpoints around the enclosure to about 8:00 PM.The neighbors all described the militants setting up checkpoints around the compound at about 8 p.m.” These checkpoints were manned by bearded jihadists with trucks equipped with heavy machine guns, and flashing the logo of al-Qaeda-linked Ansar al-Sharia.

What does that mean? Well, it means that the Turkish Consul General had to go through the blockade of jihadists as he left the vicinity of the ‘consulate.’ “Because of the checkpoints, “it felt like our neighborhood was occupied, no one could get out or in,” said a neighbor interviewed by AP. Did the Turk call Stevens to warn him of the impending danger? Apparently not. There is no trace of phone call. Moreover, how could the Turk himself have got out of the blockade?

I would bet Ali Akin Sait was in cahoots with the bearded jihadists of Ansar al-Shariah.

Now let’s go to the other point of our triangle: Libya. (We will return to Turkey.) Stevens worked with Information Management Officer Sean Smith. And Smith had noticed one guy, a member of the Libyan police, photographing the compound from an adjacent building. He even posted on an online forum “assuming we don’t die tonight. We saw one of our ‘police’ that guard the compound taking pictures.”

A few days later, a journalist found pages of documents scattered inside the ransacked building reflecting the fact that Sean Smith and other employees of the U.S. mission in Benghazi had asked repeatedly Libya (the Libyan Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the police of Benghazi) to increase security in anticipation of the visit of Ambassador Stevens on 9/11. They asked for a police presence around the clock, “in addition to a mobile patrol and a bomb-sniffing dog.” Libya has not responded to the requests.

15 hours after the policeman was seen photographing the building, the attack will begin.

The U.S. State Department has not responded to similar requests by Sean Smith either. You can be certain that the Department of State (DoS) has received a similar demand from Sean Smith regarding a libyan policeman taking pictures of the interior of the facility, and about the refusal of Libya to increase security. The DoS but did nothing. No additional security was provided by the United States, even with the knowledge that Stevens would be in Benghazi on 9/11.
The inaction of the Obama regime is astounding. Not only the DoS has refused to respond to repeated requests for extra security during the weeks preceding the attack, the Obama administration has also refused to help while the attack was taking place.

The attack against the Ambassador Stevens began around 9:40 pm, Benghazi-time. Bearded men armed with AK-47s and rocket launchers. At this moment, former SEAL Tyrone S. Woods was guarding the CIA annex 1.2 miles away. Once the attack began, a warning FLASH TRAFFIC spread within the Army, the CIA and the State Department. Immediately, a Quick Reaction Force deployed from Tripoli to Benghazi. Glen Doherty, also a former SEAL, arrived quickly from Tripoli by helicopter. He joined Ty Woods. The two operators under contract to the CIA, but working for the State Department, then asked permission to leave their post to come to the rescue of Stevens and his staff. Believe it or not, they were denied permission to go. They insisted, and were told ‘no’ a second time. They decided to go anyway, against orders. Both officers jumped into an armored vehicle and rushed to the rescue. They failed to find the ambassador, but they did save the lives of all those who were still alive. It took them three hours to evacuate the staff, while pushing the terrorists. The two agents then re-embarked into their armored vehicle (with the body of Sean Smith, who had been killed earlier), to return to the CIA ‘annex.’

The attack continued at the Annex. In fact, it had never stopped. The duo was fired upon all the way from the main enclosure of the ‘consulate’ to the CIA annex. It was midnight when they finally arrived at the Annex.
There were bearded hostile jihadists there too. The former SEALs exited their vehicle and joined the defense of the Annex, which had its own security force. Ty Woods took firing position on the roof, and Glen Doherty at the periphery of the building. They will scoop firing intermittently for the next FOUR hours. Terrorists were using AK-47s, rocket launchers and even mortars…

Despite the relentless attack, the agents remained in constant radio contact with the State Department and the CIA. They asked for air support, for something like an armed drone or a gunship to destroyed the enemy.

It is crucial to realize here that this annex of the CIA was a target of great value. It contained a lot of money, weapons, and strategic information. We will come back to that point later.

So the fighting at the Annex will last longer than 4 hours. Now, keep in mind that the Naval Air Station Sigonella, Sicily, is 775 miles away.

A gunship AC-130 carrying commandos could hace came to the rescue of the agents in less than an hour. Plenty of time. The ex-SEALS did resist FOUR hours. An AC-130 with a Gatling gun on the side is incredibly deadly; it is a tornado of steel and fire, of devastating power, capable of pinpoint accuracy.

Two Special Forces units were at Sigonella that time, including Delta Force, who was training in Europe. We know that two drones, two Predators, had joined the theaters of operations. Actually controlled from Tripoli, these drones relayed video streams throughout the duration of the attack via their camera in real time, live. We are talking about two drones because at one point, the first drone was replaced by another, probably because the machine ran out of fuel. A second drone came to take the place of the first.

So this battle raging at the CIA annex was transmitted by video stream directly to the “Situation Room” of the White House, and to the control center responsible for Africa, AFRICOM.

It is important to remember here that what the military does around the world, on land, in the air or at sea, is to practice for these situations. Wherever they are, they practice exercises, rescuing civilians and rescuing embassy staff. They do it every place they are assigned to. Again and again they repeat drills.
So Delta Force was in Europe. There were also military vessels in international waters, not too far from the coast of Libya. The point is, there was a lot of assets, and each of them had practiced repeatedly for a scenario like Benghazi. Not exactly like Benghazi, but a similar rescue situation, where an American mission is attacked.

It can be inferred with certainty that a rescue operation was ON ITS WAY to Benghazi, triggered almost immediately after Ambassador Stevens was declared endangered. The U.S. Army was aware, the CIA was aware, the State Department was aware. An alert code was released, a FLASH TRAFFIC signal. We’re not talking emails here, we’re tlaking military communication network. It was in response to a flash traffic signal that a Quick Reaction Force (QRF) was mobilized immediately in Tripoli, and that Glen Doherty had joined Ty Woods, and that a Predator had flown out of Tripoli to Benghazi. When an ambassador is in danger, or missing, the default procedure is an immediate rescue. Once the alarm was sent from Benghazi, dozens of headquarters were informed, and proceeded immediately to the rescue, without waiting for the White House. Military procedures started AUTOMATICALLY, in real time. Any rescue of this kind becomes TOP priority. No doubt about it. Commandments for Africa and Europe (AFRICOM and EUROCOM) immediately began planning and executing rescue operations, including sending air support over Benghazi. Everyone in the Navy and the Air Force was in critical mode. What are the closest destroyers, blackhawks? Delta Force is in Germany? Fly them RIGHT THERE, RIGHT NOW. FLY baby, just fly.

GO! GO! GO! Let’s send boots on the ground, planes in the air! Let’s kick the ass of these savages, and let’s bring our ambassador and his staff back to safety.

You can be sure that an aerial armada was on its way to Libya, shortly after the alarm had sounded at Garrison Stuttgart AFRICOM. And yet, the armada stopped. No armed drone nor gunship went to support Ty Woods and Glen Doherty. Why not? What happened?

If a Quick Reaction Force was able to travel from Tripoli to Benghazi, it is because it had no international border to cross. But the air armada commanded by General Ham of AFRICOM, with its C-17s or C-130s, its with Special Operations Forces in MH-47 Chinooks or Pave Hawks, can not cross the border a state like Libya without authorization to do so. No general, even 4-star, can grant this permission there. Only the President, he alone holds the scepter of that authority there, as ex-SEAL Matt Bracken astutely reminded us. And without this authorization to cross the border of a sovereign state, the helicopters, the gunships, the armed drones — the whole armada — had to land at Sigonella; and ships had to stop in international waters.

“I can’t believe cross-border authority permission is not one of the top discussion points about Benghazi.”
Matt Bracken

If Obama had granted Cross-Border Authority permission, he would have given it to Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, who would have relayed it the Joint Chiefs of Staff Martin Dempsey, which would have communicated it to General Ham, the commander of AFRICOM.

This correspondence would have left traces, non-equivocal traces. It’s black or white: General Ham has received or has not received that permission. And even if it was given verbally to Ham, you can be sure it would have been registred in the message traffic, for the official record.

The point is that without such authorization, General Ham has not been able to send relief to Benghazi, to allow its air armada to enter Libyan airspace.

We know that at 5:00 PM Washington time (the attack against Stevens had started about an hour and a half ago by then), Obama meets with Vice President Joe Biden and Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta at the White House. You can be sure, Obama and his staff are watching the attack in real time via the drone-cam. They saw what was happening live. And Obama has decided not to allow air support from abroad to be sent in.
Later, while Obama is sleeping, at around 4:00 am in Benghazi, the CIA annex takes a very accurate mortar fire, which immediately kills Ty Woods. Glen Dougherty also died that night.

In March 2011, “President Barack Obama has signed a secret order authorizing covert U.S. government support for rebel forces seeking to oust Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi.” This means in practice that the Obama regime has provided weapons and money to the rebels in Libya. After the Libyan revolution, with Gaddafi dead and a new Libyan regime in place, the U.S. mission in Libya started to buy back weapons the Obama administration had sold or given to libyan rebels. The Administration also attempted to buy weapons previously held by Gaddafi that were now spreading throughout the Middle East. Jihadists came to take what they wanted. These weapons include ammunitions, mines, missiles and surface-to-air missiles (SAMs), capable of bringing down a commercial airliner. We are talking about a stockpile large enough to destabilize the entire region, something like 20,000 SAMs. Gaddafi had accumulated a very, very large stock. Each of these missiles can reach several thousand dollars on the black market, and the United States has spent hundreds of millions of dollars to buy them.

That was the diplomatic mission in Benghazi: to buy thousands of SAMs that were moving freely in Libya. The CIA annex was of great value because it contained a lot of money, weapons and a file containing the names of those who were helping the U.S. mission in Libya. Ty Woods was working there, at the annex. His job, along with that of other CIA agents working for the State Department, was to a) recover rocket launchers and SAMs, and b) facilitate the transportation of these weapons to Syria.

End of Part I


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s